This morning they rushed to the countdown calendars. They were overjoyed to pull todays note!
We had so much fun making these very cute and yummy cake bite treats. Each year I make the truffle looking cake bites but this year I saw this ideas and knew I had to try it with my kids.
They are easy to make but take some time. For example you have to hold the pretzels, and candy on the head until the chocolate coating dries. So I probably will not make 50 of these for gifts.
Tonkin Tip. We made three freezer bags of the un-dipped cake balls and froze them. So now when we need a quick dessert we just pull the unfrosted cake balls out of freezer and dip in Chocolate and toppings etc… Or decorate and reindeer or snowmen etc…
For more Countdown to Christmas ideas Click Here
Cake Bites Recipe
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 (16 ounce) container prepared chocolate frosting
- 1.5 cups of Chocolate chips melted with 2 TLB butter
- 1 (3 ounce) bar chocolate flavored confectioners coating
- candy filling of your choice
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions using any of the recommended pan sizes. When cake is done, crumble while warm into a large bowl, and stir in the frosting and melted chocolate chips until well blended.
- Optional – you can add any kind of candy filling at this time. I love chopped Andes mints.
- Melt chocolate coating in a glass bowl in the microwave, or in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Chill 1 hour
- Use a melon baller or small scoop to form balls of the chocolate cake mixture.
- Freeze balls on sheet for 1 hour
- Dip the balls in chocolate using a toothpick or fork to hold them.
- roll in topping of your choice or drizzle with white chocolate.
- Place on waxed paper to set.
****For decorating like reindeer you need Cheery sours or red M n M’s, Pretzels, White and black frosting for eyes. Use the melted candy coating as glue to stick the eyes, nose and antlers on.